Monday, September 04, 2006

Embarassable Craving

Why is it that sometimes we crave something, that was never any good? This is where I find myself this morning. For me, this is that whole idea of a comfort food. Not that it's really that comforting to think of a time in college when you never sleep and wake up at about noon for breakfast. The worst part about it all is that somehow, I feel I have re-entered this era. However, I am missing those friends of mine that would be on the same schedule as me and also want to make the Sunday trip to Monterray's. Sadly, these were the days before digital cameras. At least, for me they were. I might try to copy in an old photo, but I will have to do it later (meaning, it probably wont't happen) as I am at work. What's that you ask, "Do I know it's a national holiday, and above all, Labor day?". Yes, I know, I think that might be part of the problem.

The sad thing about all of this is that their food was never so great, but man was it cheap. That, and the fact that it was oh about a mile outside of the campus gate made it a place of constant frequenting. The only thing silly about it was that we would practically roll out of bed and go there, yet there was always someone there you knew, so you often would find yourself in that embarrassing situation of should I go say, "hi"/I'm embarassed because I'm still wearing the shirt I slept in.

Today, in remembrance of those times, I will be searching for some soggy pintos, a tortilla, lame red sauce, and the hardest I think might be that creamy white flavorless cheese. Mmm, ... I can almost taste it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just found your blog - how fun! So I must comment on the enigma that is Monterrey's "mexican" food. Having lived in both New Mexico and the actual Mexico I must say that the cuisine at Monterrey's really is not at all authentic or flavorful and I'd be hard-pressed to categorize it in the Mexican category if it were not for the Spanish-speaking wait staff, constant telenovelas being aired in the restaurant and the name "Monterrey's". Nonetheless, I too devoured that strange, white cheese on many a weekend afternoon. I actually paid money to eat that semi-solid mess being served in one of those little elementary school-style tan, plastic bowls. And the salsa - a mostly watery concoction with bits of tomatoes and green specks poured from one plastic vase container into the aforementioned bowls was always gobbled up with delight (albeit there were really greasy chips involved). We may be forgiven for our dining indiscretion being that we were "poor" college students whose closest eating establishment was the DH (utterly horrible on weekends!). But, somehow Monterrey's restaurants in other areas of Greenville (at notably further distances from Furman's campus) seemed to be enjoying the same amount of customer appreciation and business. Hmm... I wonder what else is in that cheese.
-Kristin