Saturday, September 02, 2006

Searching for an Amazing Yeastless Pizza Dough Recipe

QUICK AND EASY PIZZA DOUGH

2 1/2 c. flour
2 3/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. olive oil
3/4 - 1 c. water

Mix flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add 3/4 cup water and oil. Stir with fork until blended and forms a soft ball. If dough is too stiff, add more water, a tablespoon at a time. It should be soft, but not sticky. Knead about 3 minutes on lightly floured surface until smooth.















Don't get too excited. I lifted this recipe from Cooks.com, and found it to be less than amazing. Quick and easy yes, but light and refreshing, not so much. sAlthough, this recipe will work if you're in dire need of some dough, but I've made pizzas on all sorts of weird bread-products, and this was not one of the best. It's just really thick. I tried to spread it as thin as possible, but I still found it to be quite bready in taste. Not bad, but I'm thinking it could be improved. I just don't know how.

What I'm looking for is a pizza dough recipe that doesn't require yeast. Now, maybe it is impossible to find a good recipe for pizza dough that doesn't require yeast. However, I feel that to be an incorrect assumption. After trying this one though, maybe it is a correct assessment.

My thought was this, who doesn't like pizza and want it in an easy pinch, without paying or waiting for delivery? I find myself in this situation quite often. I also seem to have most things on stock for an easy pizza. That is, minus the yeast. As I don't have a bread-maker or an addiction to brewing my own beer, it's just not something I would normally pick up at the store.
Being a yeast novice, maybe I shouldn't be scared. Maybe it could keep in the fridge. However, this item has still never made it into my basket. My question is this- is yeast easy, and is this the answer I am looking for or does someone, anyone please!, have a recipe for a good pizza dough that doesn't require such a specialized ingredient?

Thanks for listening,
-A

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I realize this is a bit late but I was once where you are...a yeast virgin so to speak...but then I found that you can buy handy little yeast envelopes and recipes that call for envelopes instead of a tablespoon or whatever...

Company's Coming cookbooks are great...it's actually where I found the recipe I use now...it's the ONLY one I've found to be easy and delicious...although I add one more thing to my dough...oregano...

If you'd like the recipe email me at jdotro@hotmail.com :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeast is easy! You can get it in little packets that keep a long time in the cabinet, or you can get a little jar that keeps like six months int he fridge! All you do is make up dough and then go do something else for an hour. They make it sound complicated, with all the talk of dissolving and softening in water, but I almost never do that, and it works out fine. My best yeast trick is to use twice as much as is recommended. This does not make things taste yeasty (rising for too long in a too-hot environment does), but it does make things rise a little quicker and more reliably. We have pizza every Wednesday evening, and I make it from scratch, and it's not a big deal, and it's SO CHEAP! Try it, you'll love it!

Anonymous said...

Umm... You forgot to tell us what temp to set the oven on and how long to cook it for... I'm just gonna wing it.

Anonymous said...

I actually found this to be a good recipe, with some minor alterations: I used 1 1/4 c of normal flour and 1 1/4 c semolina four, and only used 1/3 of the dough per pizza. I rolled the dough out REALLY thin, and baked at 500 degrees f till the cheese began to get golden brown. I'd say it was pretty good, similar to thin crust pizza I've had before.

Anonymous said...

I found a great yeastless pizza crust recipe, you gotta try it.

3 cups unbleached flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4-6 Tbsp. olive oil
about 1 1/4 cups warm water

Mix ingredients and knead for a minute. Form into a ball and let rest for 15 minutes covered by a towel.
Roll out, cover with topping and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until edges are brown.