Monday, November 07, 2005

Candy candy candy!

Ok yes, we've all known about Teuscher, which BTW never responded to my request for a tour, for a long time. Anyway, the crazy thing is that their best seller, the champagne truffle made with the Dom, isn't quite so unique afterall. That is, of course, if you're in Switzerland.

We went to Lucerne (French) or Luzern (German) yesterday. The town is known for it's vast amount of tourists, and even during the off-season, such as now, there were still obvious outsiders with their cameras out, ourselves, of course, included. Despite my upset stomach at the time, I still managed to buy a good bit of chocolate.

Finally addressing the picture, there seemed to be a Chocolatery on virtually every corner, with no complaints from me, but definitely a bit shocking, especially when you hear they all make their own chocolates from scratch! I wondered where they even did that, as most seemed quite small and mainly centered around showing off their artful craftsmanship. I would like to point out that most of the chocolatiers did seem to be women. Coincidence, I think not.

Amidst all the chocolate shops, each one seemed to have standard versions of truffles, champagne being everpresent. The other astonishing theme being the amazingly smoothe chocolate centers and rather soft exteriors, much unlike the American Godiva truffles that always seem to be harder than rocks with quite unchocolatey and ungratifying centers. Taking nothing away from Teuscher, as they still have a truffle of high quality, even by Swiss standards, but it does seem that their style is quite ordinary in this here country of chocolate and cheese. So I might have missed Halloween, but you'll get no complaints from me this year! Posted by Picasa

No comments: