Monday, August 07, 2006

Most Memorable Bike Ride Home

I believe this story needs a little background. About eight years ago there was a girl entering college, and her parents decided to spring for a bike for her. As she did not know anything about bikes at the time (afterall, she was raised in an age when helmets were only worn by the dorky kids), $219 seemed extremely expensive (to her) for a bike. The good thing was that the cheapest model was a bright blue, and so she was happy with her decision to try to choose an inexpensive model (once again, the cheapest, although, it was at an actual bike shop so this was no Huffy: The Great Escape in Greenville, SC) to be nice to her parents as they were being nice to her.

Freshman and sophomore year went by and the bike saw more of the rack than anything else. And, it usually was a (gasp!) uncovered one at that. I suppose Junior year was not much better. By Senior year the bike was seeing a little more of the road and even some trails, however, it had already become quite bruised an beaten, mainly from the abrasive metal racks and the oxidative elements on an aluminum shell. Needless to say, when graduation time came around, the bike was a little less than pristine, but still in perfect running condition.

After a short vacation in sunny Florida, the bike made the long trek out to the West, on the back of the car that is. Now instead of the humid heat, the bike was forced to endure dry and dusty conditions. Yes, it was out on the rack again. However, by this time, the bike and the girl had developed a bond. The bike was going everywhere and doing everything, from commuting to work to trail riding (although, it was soon found out that mountain biking out West seemed to be a little more serious than back in the South so this didn't really take hold quite as well as the others) to triathlons. That's right, the little blue bike had become was a racer. Really, this was the best time for the bike.

About a year later, when recreational riding became a little more serious, the bike was downgraded to the commuter, but faithful none-the-less. I'm not really sure what the average bike lifespan is, but this one has seen some good years. As it is coming upon it's 8th year, things have started to go wrong, and quite quickly I might add. Some say it is awaiting its days of rest as it has surely seen at least one or two thousand miles beneath it's tread, and has even changed and upgraded (okay, so it really hasn't been upgraded much, if it had it just might not be falling apart at present).

Now that I mention the present, let's venture back to it. A couple of weeks ago (I promise not to divert too much), the right twist shifter broke, but only superficially (the plastic exterior). This would be after the issues of the uneven brakes, rotting grips that flake off in your hand, and the possible loose or broken front hub. As this seemed to be a minor issue, I balked at buying a new mountain bike during the past couple of weeks, despite countless hours of research. One issue being, a new mountain bike would not be best for commuting, yet I wasn't ready to leave the old guy by the waste side. As a common result, my decision was to make no decision. I even toyed with the idea of fixing up the old bike. In this fashion, I bought it some urban pedals (one side for clipless pedaling and the other for my most-used sandal style approach). Only one ride in to work was needed to convince me that this was the route to go. All of a sudden my slow hot ride in had become much more enjoyable. That is, until today.

I decided at about six that I would venture home. Mainly, as it was looking like it was going to storm, but I also wanted a change of venue. As I grabbed the bike from the lab, where it had been hiding out ever since the last-minute Costco trip, I headed home in the oddly humid air. Just when it started to sprinkle, I started to pick up the pace a little, as no one likes to be caught in the rain (especially while on a commuter where the owner has routinely forgotten to purchase a rear fender and when wearing fashionable leather sandals; I told you about the sandals before). Just as I was about to go under a second underpass, the unthinkable happened. I hammered down (okay, so I didn't hammer down, but it was a good thing) on the left pedal as I was veering right around a corner. This was when it happened. The pedal shot across the path, followed soon by my aforementioned left sandal. It was quite a funny sight to behold, but probably not as funny as me attempting to "bike" home with one pedal and a crank arm, that I have to admit is a little hard to grip while trying to not lose your sandal, that has definitely now gotten wet. Okay, I was glad there were no first-hand witnesses, which is maybe what has allowed me to re-create the scene.

Just like that, my last-minute "upgrade" just might be the straw on my so-called steed's (technically, that would be camel's) back. It appears the nice, new fancy pedal has stripped the inner rings of the crank arm. Yes, yes, I will check it all out again (when it is NOT raining). Alright, so I did manage to venture back outside for the picture, yes, I know. Sadly, the bike has been left out on the rack again, instead of being brought inside the comfy (to a bike, why not?) apartment for a little seat upgrade.

Am I forced now to come to terms with the end of our times together? Has all of the bike searching become a vision into the future? Should I mtn. bike it or replace the nice little commuter? Feel free to comment if you have a bike you love!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finally...a good enough reason for a mtn bike purchase. :-)